Recently I have spent a lot of time in Pembrokeshire – a West Wales haven full of people who love skiing and hate cats. Thus making it a place where I don’t really fit in. You wouldn’t catch me living it up on some gorgeous French ski slopes out of choice. In fact, if anyone even managed to get me to a beautiful French ski slope I would become a very difficult person to spend time with. Oh yes. Forget skiing – I am never happier than when snuggled up on the sofa with a cup of tea and a cat.
What confuses me is why anyone would think differently. But people do think differently. Recently I seem to have surrounded myself with people who dislike cats very strongly. It really bothers me.
Hence why today’s musing questions why anyone could ever hate cats.
There are a lot of reasons why people should love them.
Here are a few:
1. They require little attention
2. They resent their resident human strongly, but will reward that human with love in return for food and other luxuries.
3. They are so arrogant. They sleep all day long, contribute nothing to the house and expect complete devotion from their owners.
5. Cats are hilarious. My cat Zebedee really likes being dizzy. He will sit on my computer chair miaowing at me until I spin him around on it. He then jumps off and wobbles around for a while before jumping back on the chair. Brilliant.
6. Cats are intelligent. They know they are doing.
7. This may contradict reason 6. but cats love being in bags. Plastic bags, hand bags, suitcases.. Anything they can get into really. It amuses me.
8. Unlike dogs, one has to work for the affection of a cat. Dogs will throw themselves at anyone. Desperate creatures. If a cat loves you then you know that you deserve it.
9. Look at this cat:
No arguments there I presume. He is a little Bengal kitten. They are my favourite cats because they look like tiny leopards! Amazing.
10. Reason 10 involves a bit of imagination. So, everyone walks dogs in the park. It has been done. But imagine walking a cat on a lead in the park. It’s a great image. To be fair, this probably wouldn’t work because (and this is another reason why I like cats) they won’t be walked. You don’t walk a cat. A cat walks you. I know this because I bought a cat lead for Zebedee and I took him around the garden the other day. He wasn’t sure what I was doing really. I think he thought I was a complete idiot. He lead me around for a bit and then I took it off him. It is still a great image though. Maybe the idea of a cat in a hand bag in public is a more realistic idea. Instead of a little rat dog in a handbag which seems to be quite fashionable, have a cat in a bag! It is much more original! I’ll let you know if I ever pluck up the courage to do it.
Some people are afraid of cats. This amuses me. What do they think that the cat is going to
do to them? Maybe it is to do with old superstition and cats being related to witchcraft. People do seem to think that cats are secretly evil. I do agree with this to some extent actually, but I think that it just makes me like them more. Possibly because I would quite like to be secretly evil myself. Not in a murdery way. More in a.. “I’m going to lurk in the shadows and look a bit vampy” kind of way. Maybe.
I’m sure you have all gathered that I like cats. So I hope that you will sympathise with me when I tell you about an imminent problem in my life.. My boyfriend is allergic to cats. We don’t live together yet or anything, but if it does happen then I will have to choose between my love for cats and respecting his allergy. I’m not sure which will win…